Pill organizers we will be recommending improve independence for people with:
- Sensory deficits.
- Memory impairments.
- Decreased fine motor skills.
- Upper extremity weakness
- Limited range of motion due to pain or injury.
Tips to assist in medication management:
- If vision is an issue, modifications can be made to medication containers, pills (contact local pharmacy), and organizers.
- Some people may always require set up assistance, but to achieve greater independence written step by step instructions to help avoid error.
- Keep an updated medication list (can be laminated and fit into a wallet depending on vision) that includes medication name, dosage and prescription details, color, and purpose.
- Create of the list to refer to it weekly or biweekly to fill the pill box.
- Have an individual “teach” therapists or caregivers how to fill the pill box to ensure comprehension of medication management.
Pill box for people with visual deficits:
The Seven Day Color Deep Capacity Pill Box
- Each compartment is color coded for each day of the week
- Extra deep compartments come with secure lids
- Large black contrasting letters for low vision
- Travel sized
- Each box is tactilely marked for identification.
Simple Pill Box for Organizing Complicated Medication Schedules:
Reizen Weekly Pill Box
- 7 day pill organizer
- Compartments for each day are marked by day in print and Braille
- Each day’s pill box has 3 compartments marked in Braille
- Days of the week are printed on base box holder
- Pop each day’s pill box out and carry it with you
Pill dispenser for People with Memory Issues
Med-E-Lert Automatic Pill Dispenser
Featuring a secured, tamper-proof locking key system to avoid over-medication and an easy to program interface, the Med-E-Lert is an ideal assistant for Alzheimers and Parkinsons patients, visually or mentally impaired individuals, patients with complicated daily medical regimes or for those who simply need help adhering to a new medication schedule. Three different alarm tones and a blinking light alert the patient when medication needs to be taken and will not turn off until the pill dispenser is tilted on its side to dispense the pills.
- 28 Compartments Each Can Hold Several Pills (Up To 18 Aspirin Size Pills)
- Compartment size 20% larger than other automatic dispensers
- Comes with white lid
- Fully automatic pill dispenser
- Easy to use
- Capacity: one week’s supply of pills up to four times per day
- Long duration buzzer sounds until pills are removed
Clear lid to be able to see what pills have been taken, comes with white lid as well.
Sabi Vivacity Line Folio Travel Pill Organizer
I like this pill box but I think it looks a little masculine, too bad it doesn’t come in pink.
- The Folio Travel Pill Organizer is made for those on a twice daily a.m./p.m. regimen of vitamins, supplements, or pill.
- Folio has one shared clip-and-flip lid for easy loading and extracting.
- The bathtub-shaped compartments make extraction of pills quick and easy and there’s no turning upside-down and shaking.
- Traditional pill organizers require strong pincer grasp to open lids, but pills are easy to access for those with limited strength/dexterity.
Please post any questions about medication management, adaptations, or suggestions for pill boxes.